Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day!

OK, it's labor day and I have the day off. I took the pitties out for some play time, we all ate our breakfast, and then I went up to let the chickens out. I opened the door and out popped Brett, then Matilda and Beatrix, and Eunice. No Camilla. I popped my head in the door and saw this:
.
.
For starters, I admit I am a terrible chicken dad. I have never mounted their brooding box to the wall, I just placed it on top of the trash can. There was a reason for placing the brooding box in this position. Camilla, after she started laying, would knock the lid off and try to lay her eggs inside the trash can. It's dark in there and it is filled halfway with pine shavings. Still, after she started using the box, the idea was to mount it to the wall.
.
I figured that Camilla was just getting ready to lay an egg so I left her in peace. I figured I would check back with her in a bit. Little Brett was on guard at the door. He is a good roo and is very protective of his flock.
.
.
So, I went up to the barn, dealt with the horses and came back down. Still no Camilla in the yard. I went back into Coop D'Etat and there was Camilla... still in her box.
.
.
Quite obviously, this was new behavior for Camilla. Had she? Leghorns are known for not being good setters, but it sure looked like it. There was only one way to find out. I went to feel under her and she opened her mouth and let out a terrible groaning sound. She gave me a fearsome stink-eye. I withdrew, a bit shocked. Camilla is normally such a peaceful and shy lady. Undetered, I put my hand under her and lifted her up, ever so gently.
.
.
Indeed, she has. Camilla has gone broody. That's a total misunderstanding of Labor Day.
.
.
She is not the smartest of birds.
.
Oh Little Brett... you rogue. You are still but a cockerel and you don't even have all of your tail feathers back.
.
.
Little Brett was waiting outside for me. He wanted to make sure his baby-momma was safe.
.
What is to be done now? Leghorns are notoriously bad mothers. Do we take the egg and put it under a heat lamp? Do we want more chickens? What if it is a rooster? Would Brett Buckwalter III (Little Brett Jr.? Little Little Brett Buckwalter?) create problems?
.
This also creates some issues regarding my egg consumption. I'm a vegetarian. I don't think I can eat a fertilized egg... well for a number of reasons. What about the eggs that are in the fridge? Do I need to get Little Brett fixed... or caponized at it were? Do people even do that anymore? Can I find a veterinarian that would caponize my pet rooster?
.
Oh dear....
.
UPDATE: About an hour or so later, I went outside and noticed that Camilla was in the yard. She had abandoned her motherly responsibilities in favor of some scratch grains. Since Camilla does not seem ready for the responsibilities of motherhood, I took the egg in and tried to set it up under a heat lamp. When I went back to check on things, it seems that it had gotten too hot. 'Twas not to be this go round. I will experiment with the heat lamp so I can get a proper temperature just in case this happens again.

No comments: