Friday, July 3, 2009

Happy Birthday America!

I decided to get in the 4th of July spirit a bit early this year. Since I had the day off from work, I jumped in the pickup truck and drove to the local Amish market. After gazing longingly at the various chicken coops they offer for sale, I got down to business and sought out the object of my desires. Of course, when you are a large man like me, you tend to get distracted easily by baked goods. Amish markets are filled with baked goods. Thus, I purchased some fresh baked peach bread and a peanut butter whoopie pie... the traditional devils food cake discs but with a peanut butter creme (as opposed to cream) filling.


Note, there will be no picture of the whoopie pie because it did not make it back to the house. In fact, I'm not even sure that I got the car started before cramming it down my gullet. I must say, I was a little disappointed with myself... I completely forgot to get a bottle of homemade rootbeer. I probably would have purchased some additional items, say a pecan pie, sticky buns, a pumpkin roll, etc..., but this Amish bakery limited their business dealings to cash transactions, and I had a specific purchase I needed to make.
.
Well, I was finally able to tear myself away from the food stuffs and made my way down to the furniture area. There I found my intended purchase, a large Amish barn star in an American flag paint scheme. The moment I became the proud owner of a barn, I secretly wanted a giant Amish barn star to adorn the front entrance. I purchased it and quickly headed for home... well, as noted above, I did take thirty seconds or so to suck down my Amish-made, sugary confection... but then I drove right home.
.
Once I was back to Bully Hill, I popped up to the barn with a drill and some stainless steel screws, pulled out a ladder, and set to work anchoring it above my barn doors. Here are some photos of the end product:
.


.

So, happy birthday America and happy 4th of July to both of my readers.

No comments: