Friday, April 6, 2012

Good Friday

In the immortal words of Ice Cube, "I got [sic] to say it was a good day."  I had the day off work, so I slept in until six, and then I made pancakes for breakfast (like Ice Cube, no hogs were injured during the making of my breakfast).


After that, I ran some errands in the morning, "didn't even see a berry flashing those high beams," (although admittedly, I don't know what the that means, so it might have happened, and I just didn't know it) got back home and mowed the yard, and then spent a relaxing day with my wife. 

It was Opening Day and the Orioles beat the Twins 4 to 2.  Thus, the O's are in first place.  That probably also means that I should stop paying attention now and just assume they had a great season.

I also did a little spring cleaning in Coop D'Etat, so I let the chickens roam about for a while.  They enjoyed the opportunity to explore the yard.  On that note, I am sad to report that I both Eunice and Matilda passed away.  That was rather upsetting, but it has been a while, so I added two more hens to the flock.

We have Esmeralda, a lovely blue Orpington.  She's a big girl, and probably weighs more than Little Brett.


Then we have Francine.  She is a blue splash Orpington.  The breeder from which we purchased them said that she survived a fox attack early in her life.  Although she is a peaceful bird, she must be pretty tough.


When I was done cleaning up in the coop, I decided it would be nice to share an apple with the birds.  Here is Francine coming in for a look at the apple:


She seemed to enjoy it.


Camilla decided to stand watch over the apple for a while...


but she shared with the other chickens.


Here is Camilla and Beatrix enjoying their apple while Brett and Ezzy go off exploring:


They are a good flock of birds.


After that, I played fetch with the dogs for a bit.


Then I took Kana out for some training in the pastures.


I noticed that the apple tree is getting some blooms.


The cherry trees have lots of buds, and a few are just about open.


I ran Kana around quite a bit.


She finally had too much...


so we just sat down and took some pictures.


Incidentally, "[t]oday I didn't even have to use my AK" (which is somewhat accurate, except that it implies that I own an AK, and I don't actually own any weapons of any sort).  Indeed, it was rather peaceful and we just sat out in the middle pasture until the sun started to set.


"I [have] to say it was a good day."

No comments: