Saturday, December 19, 2009

Day 1

It is day 1 of the blizzard of aught-nine. We are stranded on Bully Hill farm and provisions are running low.  I woke up at 5 this morning, had my morning coffee and ate the last bit of leftover tiramisu from my office holiday party. Without tiramisu, things are looking grim. If rations run low, I'm thinking I might eat Pea first... sure there are the chickens, but that would mean I would have to put on pants and boots and walk 50 yards to the coop.  I'm pretty lazy and Pealeaux has always looked sort of tasty.  Shhhh, I think she's on to me.



Still, she's never exactly pulled her weight around the house.  Pea's on notice.

This is what things looked like at 8 a.m.






I'm guessing we have between 6 and 8 inches out there, and we are expected to get around 20 inches.  In anticipation, I went up to the barn this morning and put blankets on the horses.  They were hanging out in their schluffin' barn (the one on the far left in the photo above), but once they were clothed, they decided it was OK to just hang out in the snow.



Hopefully they have enough sense to go into the barn if they get cold, but I'm not sure.



Heckel and Jeckel enjoyed a quick romp through the snow, but decided it was much nicer on the couch.



It was a little too dark when I had Kane out this morning (and she is mostly white) so those pictures did not really come out well.  She, however, was enjoying her first taste of freedom since she was spayed.  I have had walk her on leash for the past two weeks to make sure that she was not stretching her incision.  She was not a fan, but it has probably been a good thing, because it has forced me to work on her heeling when she is on leash.  She is doing very well.

I'm going to curl up with some dogs and a book and enjoy the day off.

No comments: