Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Snopocalypse

Suffice it to say, I have never experienced a winter like this one.  We are currently experiencing our second snowfall of more than 20 inches.


I went out at 9 a.m. and measured the snow in a few places.  This is an average reading for the yard, but we certainly have some drifts that almost hit my waist.


I walked up to the barn this morning and broke a sweat.  I shoveled a path between the two barns, made sure the area around their water was clear, and put out a couple of bales of  hay.  To my surprise I was joined by the Bumpases.


I was not expecting old Gar-Gar to show up.  He was all tuckered out by the time he got up to the barn, but I made sure that everyone got back to the garage safely for breakfast.

Coop D'Etat is also snowbound.  I had to dig my way into the front door.  Thankfully, I have gotten the Flockers a few extra treats to keep them occupied.  I also got a few extra heat lamp bulbs just in case.


The chickens were very pleased with their berry flavored, freeze-dried mealworms.  Yea, I don't know... I don't know how, why, or who came up with it, and I think it's better that we not try to find out.  The chickens do seem to like them though.


The dogs have had mixed reactions to the current conditions.  Kane was pretty excited to romp about the yard for a bit,
but she suggested that we go back inside after a while.


Kaney is slightly taller than the other girls, so she was getting around a bit easier.  Still, it was an effort and you can tell she was panting.

The girls did come out to play.  Pea was the first to follow me into the front yard.


HT followed and did some running about.


Unfortunately, the dogs can only walk in my path.  Fresh snow is not passable, as poor Pea found out.


The only sensible thing to do is stay in the well travelled areas of the yard...


or just go back inside where it is warm.


I braved the weather long enough to get a few shots of the farm.

(Driveway)

(Apple trees in the middle pasture as seen from the front yard)

(View of the side yard from the front yard)

( View of the side pasture w/ old goat barn from the side yard)

(View of the horse barn from the side yard)

(View of the side pasture from the top pasture)

(View of the goat barn from the top pasture)

Be safe out there and stay warm.

No comments: